Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: My new 19s

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sunnysal's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10th, 2004
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dylan, from what I have seen on Ebay they seem to always go for more than $1,000...thus yours seem to be correctly priced, especially if they are in very good condition. regards, tony forums

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    If you're saying you paid this for just the components, then yes, you paid way too much IMO based on their individual going rates, though buying the lot saved you some time/effort/frustration doing it all piecemeal. If it was for a pair of speakers with good foam inserts, grills, bases, etc., that requires nothing more than wiping them down and hooking up some wire, then it was a fair price IMO.

    IMO, above this price point it becomes a matter of how much extra are you willing to pay for an original or not have to bother with building or contracting your own, which can be optimized for your room, etc., performing better overall than the M-19s.

    Regardless, it's a done deal, so not much point in agonizing over it now. Look at it this way, if you like them you'll get your money's worth out of them over the long haul unless you die soon, and due to today's competitive market even if this was for the components only you still got a super deal compared to back when I was buying new/refurbished components in the mid '60s to early '70s once inflation is factored in.

    Indeed, many of the prices for good used components is no more today than what they cost new back then, so relatively speaking, they're dirt cheap now due to all the inflation over the decades. You could buy a nice used car for what new/refurbished Altec components cost back when they ~monopolized the market. How much car does $1200 buy today? None that I would feel ~safe/comfortable in, or for that matter, would want to be seen in.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Put it this way. What can you buy that's made today that is comperable?
    I listened to my brothers new set of Paradim towers the other night. They cost over $1000 and they **** ! Shrill, bright and boomy bass to boot.
    I'm surprised you are asking this question when you were going to buy the pair I got, for similar money, and would have had to have them shipped cross country.
    forums
    Ron

  4. #4
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't fret, If they are in great condition then $1200 is a fair price, & like what RonSS said, where are you going to find bunker busters like that today? forums

  5. #5
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    FWIW, in my most honest opinion, no comapny today makes speakers that have the sound some of the older Altecs had, and still have!

    If the Model 19,s in question are in great shape, sound great, and please its owner, thats all that matters, and $1200 isnt so absurd a price!

    You only got to buy em once! Enjoy them, and be glad you got a nice pair!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Dylanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron, the reason I did not buy yours was because I was worried about damage in transit.

    The only reason I ask this question is because someone told me that the most one should pay for a set is 800 no matter how good. I am not concered about what I paid I was just looking to get your opinions. I did not agree with that thought from the begining.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Dylanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I bought them from the original owenr with the manuals and no boxes The condition is very good. They are from 1978. I paid 1200 for them. Some have said that this was to much to spend. Should these 19s go for less. I was told 800.00 is the going rate. If that is so I have not seen a pair that is not beat to death go for even close to that.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dylan, I agree with you! For my money it was worth the $1200 you paid, and NOT have to have the speakers shipped across country!

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Dylanl,

    Here is what you said when I bought the 19's that you wanted:

    Dylanl
    posted February 11, 2005 11:14 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave, you broke my heart.

    So don't give me that **** about "Ron, the reason I did not buy yours was because I was worried about damage in transit."

    Quit whining about the price and enjoy them. If you don't like em, or think you paid too much, sell em and go back to K-horns.
    Do you believe everything everyone tells you?
    Didn't you post here constantly about wanting a set of these?

    Give me a break.

    Ron

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dylanl,

    Since you are calling them 19's, I can only assume that you bought the Model 19's complete. The components alone would not be a Model 19, so they would be worth much less. If yours are decent - good veneer, no cone tears or rubs, good diaphragms, good grills, etc.; than they are easily worth $1200. I have been watching eBay for over 2 years and have seen them sell for as much as $1800. (or more). Naturally, there are people selling them from way up in Canada (or Miami), that will NOT ship them; so they will not get top dollar. Most people wanting them, know what they are going for. It's not $800. I paid $1400. for mine, and I have the original factory cardboard boxes!

    Richard C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.